Sunday, October 14, 2012

Luxembourgish songs

Well, we are 4 weeks into this school year.

I thought it might be fun to start taking more videos of the kids speaking the language(s), to reflect on their progress over time.

Daphne is of course learning German, but the teachers are still speaking to the kids primarily in Luxembourgish unless they are teaching a German word (with some English translation on the side for Daphne).  She also has Luxembourgish as a subject for an hour each week.

There seems to be an emphasis on singing at school.  I think this is a great approach, and our kids love to sing, especially Daphne.  Here's a song from Luxembourgish class.

(Disclaimer:  She doesn't know what it means.  We don't know what it means.  We're assuming many of the pronunciations aren't quite accurate as well.  But maybe someday we'll come back to it here again and she'll explain everything to us.  We do know the part that sounds like "esh-en-esh" means something like "I am me.")


And this seems like an autumn song about apple picking, doesn't it?  Clearly, not all the words are there yet, but he's getting close!

I don't know how much longer I'll be able to convince them (well....James) to do this sort of thing on camera, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

6 comments:

Julie Stong said...

Almost makes up for them not singing with the Joy Choir this morning! I'm sure Daphne's song was right on pitch, even if all the words weren't perfect!

fiona lynne said...

I love how they both finish! Daphne with the satisfied hands on hips, James with the "OM!" and turn away :)

Anonymous said...

Daphne, James! Such a good job on singing your Luxembourgish songs! Granddad and I enjoy it so much, we keep watching it over and over again!
Nana

Debbie said...

Love the songs!
Miss you guys.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Great concert! Wonder what we'll hear at Christmas.
Auntie Grace

Debbie said...

Dear Daphne and James -
I love your songs. They are very good. I wish I could sing in another language. Maybe you can teach me when I see you again. I miss you.

Love, Lily